There is so much information on starting solids, and so many different opinions…sometimes, it becomes very tough to rationalize…especially if you are first time mommy like me!!!
I was also bombarded with lot of questions…like is it ok to start before 6 months, should I spoon wean or let her self wean!!!! Will she be allergic to anything …how will I know!! But, remember no two babies are alike & momma knows the best!!! So, always trust your instinct & try to understand your baby cues!
For Lv, We finally broke out to baby spoons and let her start exploring new tastes and textures @ 5 months…When she showed all signs of weaning like:
- She could sit holding her head straight
- You can’t eat anything in front of her she wanted everything that Aby or I put in our mouths
- She was always hungry
- She had outgrown her tongue-thrust reflex
Starting solids is an EXCITING TIME and a BIG MILESTONE for your baby n U!!!
First month, I started with fruits …First food she had was banana, we gave her once a day till 5 days to check if she shows any allergic reactions and it also helped her to develop a taste for it! She loved it… I gave apple, pear, chicoo, and papaya…. no citrus fruit yet!!!
From 2nd month she weans twice a day…one time fruits which I can mix if we have tried before and…. 2nd time veggies… the sweeter ones like carrots, peas, beans, avocado, and pumpkin!!! I also give her curd, light lentils like moong dal, diluted fruit juice & water at times!
To make weaning a happy experience, remember few things!
- Never force baby to eat…when the baby is ready…she will eat… J
- If she doesn’t eat at a time, keep trying!
- Whenever you wean keep a camera next to you who wants to miss on those cute faces!:-)J J
- Invest in some good cutlery (BPa free & silicon ones), high chair & bibs
- Remember BF is still the main food…let your baby have fun with food…
- No cow milk, ripened cheese, eggs, salt, honey, fish & other seafood with high mercury content till 1 year!!
Happy Weaning Mums!!!